Monday, October 28, 2013

Paul Rand


As I made my way through the links on the syllabus I found a name that I’ve heard before, Paul Rand. After further investigation of how/why I would know or recognize this name. As it turns out he was a local artist. Paul Rand was famous for his corporate logos. Rand was born in Brooklyn and studied at Parsons School of Design before coming to Yale University. Rand was one of the first to emphasize cleanliness, readability, and objectivity in his work a method that would be come to known as the Swiss style which makes sense because he was influences by European magazines. As you can see from the logos below many are still used today and are easily identifiable.  Paul Rand died in 1996 in Norwalk, CT. a true modernist.








1 comment:

  1. Great Steve... thanks for posting the many examples of his work.

    ReplyDelete